Rosemary (Rosmarinus) works as an antiseptic and an antimicrobial agent. In The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy, Valerie Ann Worwood suggests using a blend of rosemary, lemon and eucalyptus oils to massage the nose, cheekbones and temples in order to relieve congestion and discomfort.
Thieves is a blend of clove (syzygium aromaticum), lemon, cinnamon bark (cinnamomum), eucalyptus and rosemary that was created by 15th century thieves during the plague. The oil blend is antiviral, antiseptic and antibacterial. It works well in a diffuser to help purify the air in your home or as a throat spray to soothe a sore throat.
A great way to get the benefits of essential oils is by breathing them so that they enter your body through the nose and lungs. You can use them in a diffuser or you can simply add four or five drops of the oil to a pot of boiled water. Cover your head with a towel while carefully leaning over the liquid and breathing in the steam.
Another option is to place a drop or two of the oils on a warm damp washcloth and then place the washcloth on your chest or your forehead to help relieve pain and congestion. Or add five to eight drops of oil to the water as you run your bath for a soothing, relaxing effect.
Essential oils are not a substitute for other proven methods for fighting colds such as getting enough fluids, getting enough rest or seeing your doctor if your symptoms worsen. However, if you are looking for natural ways to boost your body’s defenses during cold and flu season, it is well worth your time to investigate the impact essential oils can have on your health.
Which is your favorite essential oil to fight colds and flu? Share your tips in the section below:
Stomach Flu (Tummy Bug) – Signs, Symptoms and Treatment
Infectious gastroenteritis is often referred to as a tummy bug or the stomach flu. It may be caused by bacteria, viruses or protozoa. The incubation period and duration of the infection may vary depending on the causative microorganism and the action of the microbe or toxins.
The signs and symptoms of acute gastroenteritis should be discernible from other gastrointestinal conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Proper management is crucial and most of the time, treatment for acute infectious gastroenteritis is only necessary in prolonged cases or immunocompromised patients.
Refer to the article on Causes, Incubation Period and Duration of Infectious Gastroenteritis for further details on these aspects.
The common signs and symptoms include:
- Constant and does not always ease after vomiting.
- Retching is the involuntary but unproductive effort to vomit.
- Heartburn and chest pain may be present as gastric contents rise up the esophagus coupled with muscle spasm from retching.
- Severe with recurrent retching after expulsion.
- May settle in the latter stages of the infection although nausea may still be present.
- Eating solid foods usually aggravates nausea and vomiting.
- Bloody vomit (hematemesis) is not always present and may only occur with persistent or violent vomiting (refer to gastritis caused by a Mallory-Weiss tear).
- Frequent, watery stools (large volume) often accompanied by intestinal cramps.
- Certain infections and persistent diarrhea may result in bloody stools (melena
black, tarry; hematochezia
- Diarrhea may be mild in some infections.
- Constant urging (tenesmus) may persist between evacuations.
- Abdominal discomfort
- Ranging from a dull ache, to colicky or severe abdominal pain.
- Bloating and tenderness often present, especially in bacterial infections.
- Fever may be absent in some cases of infectious gastroenteritis – bacterial toxins may not cause a fever.
- Other microorganism may cause a low, moderate or high fever.
- Varies from >100F/37.7C to 104F/40C – temperatures in excess of 104F/40C requires immediate medical attention.
- Complication of fluid loss – vomiting, diarrhea, perspiration.
- May be moderate to severe and may lead to death if left untreated.
- Dizziness, dry mouth, poor skin turgor and fainting.
- Signs of shock due to severe dehydration – immediate medical attention necessary.
This brings us to consider the third classic cause of illness--the phenomenon known to indigenous healers as soul loss.
Among the traditionals, soul loss is regarded as the most serious diagnosis and the major cause of premature death and serious illness, yet curiously, it's not even mentioned in our Western medical textbooks. The closest acknowledged context is “He/she has lost the will to live”.
In Western society, soul loss is most easily understood as damage to a person's life essence, a phenomenon that usually occurs in response to trauma. When the trauma are severe, this may result in a fragmentation of that person's soul cluster, with the shattered soul parts dissociating, fleeing an intolerable situation. In overwhelming circumstances, these soul parts may not return.
Soul loss can also occur when a child is mercilessly bullied or teased at home or at school, day after day, or when a young person is molested by the one who is supposed to be caring for them. When someone has been raped or assaulted, has suffered a shocking betrayal, a bitter divorce, a traumatic abortion, a terrible car accident, or even a serious surgery, soul loss is assured.
Many of the young men and women who were sent to war in Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Viet Nam, Korea and beyond, came home personally damaged because they had suffered terrible soul loss. Our medical specialists labeled their disorders as post-traumatic stress syndrome, but they had little to offer these "walking wounded" in terms of true healing, and many who survived are still deeply traumatized at the soul level by what happened to them in war.
Soul loss is easily recognizable if you know what you're looking for. Here's a checklist of some of the classic symptoms:
- feelings of being fragmented, of not being all here.
- blocked memory--an inability to remember parts of one's life.
- an inability to feel love or receive love from another.
- emotional remoteness.
- a sudden onset of apathy or listlessness.
- a lack of initiative or enthusiasm.
- a lack of joy.
- a failure to thrive.
- an inability to make decisions.
- an inability to discriminate.
- chronic negativity.
- suicidal tendencies.
- melancholy or despair.
- chronic depression.
Perhaps the most common symptom of soul loss is depression. In the early 1990s, Time magazine did a cover story on depression in America that revealed 60 million Americans were taking anti-depressant drugs on a daily basis, representing about 30% of our population.
Today that number is closer to 80 million, representing about 40% of society at large, and sometimes that number jumps in response to a national trauma. On the Friday following 9/11, a television newscast revealed that 7 out of 10 Americans polled were experiencing significant depression in response to the tragedy, an indicator of soul loss on a national scale.
Although the term “soul loss” is not familiar to most Westerners, examples of it are expressed daily in our language and descriptions of personal hardships. Media interviews and news reports include individuals’ comments such as “I lost a part of myself when that (trauma) happened” and “I have not been the same since.” When discussing soul loss with inquiring individuals, most everyone has a sense of having lost a “part” of themselves at some time in life, yet virtually no one has the awareness that the missing part(s) could be recovered.
Watch a video of Hank discussing the three causes of spiritual illness:
Poisoning is most often due to contaminated food or water. Arsenic is a natural compound that occurs in the soil, sometimes in dangerously high concentrations. Many cities and municipalities filter and test their water, but not all do; people who drink from private, particularly old, wells may also be at risk. Drinking only filtered, tested water is a good way to rule out this possibility. In rarer cases, people are intentionally poisoned, usually by a caretaker or someone else with direct access to food and water supply. Anyone who suspects intentional tampering should seek help from local authorities. Arsenic poisoning isn’t always fatal, but it can have life-altering consequences if left untreated for long periods of time.
43) To the lady that said she can not think of anyone who would want to hurt her. My own sister.
41) What poison acts slowly? I have been had tummy problems off and on for over a year now. I've been to the ER and the doctor never found an issue, although for the last 4 months not hardly a day goes by that I am not ill?
I suspect I am being given something, but what, I have no idea.
40) If you believe someone is poisoning you, there is an easy test. When he pours coffee for you and him, switch cups on him.
39) Are you people serious? I never dreamed this kind of thing was so widespread!
The reason that I'm here is because, I just read about that doctor whose trial is going on about him poisoning his wife with cyanide! That always piques my interest, because I truly believe my mother was murdered years ago by a con artist (his ex-wife and their daughter) that she married, but I could never prove anything because, I didn't know what type of poison he used.
It's a very long story, but it involved a substantial amount of money and property and as soon as the property was paid off, he talked my mother into purchasing a pre-need plan (for her burial plot and funeral) and within less than a year she was suddenly diagnosed with breast cancer! All the years before she'd been as healthy as a horse, with no health problems at all! Anyway, she died a few years later and I knew he had done something to hasten her death so, he could get all the money and property, which he did!
It has taken a great toll on me not being able to get any help or be able to prove anything, but what is still disturbing is how her skin had turned yellowish with tiny purple dots after she died (along with some other similar things described here). At the time, I can remember asking why her skin was so yellow and her husband repeatedly said it was from all of the carrot juice she'd been drinking! Then, years later, I learned that the purple dots are definitely tell-tale signs of someone being poisoned, yet nobody seemed to have even noticed!
Anyway, it turns out that even if I could find out for sure what he did to her, there's nothing I could do about it now, because he's dead and he passed down all of the money/assets to his evil daughter, who, ironically, had a husband that suddenly dropped dead of cancer too!
So, all of you who keep having strange things happen to you (especially, on a consistent basis), if I were you, I'd try to set him/her up with a hidden camera/video, a recorder, setting up the containers in a specific manner so that you can see if they've been moved/used, marking the levels of fluid, etc., as well as, saving some of the things like shampoo, drinks, etc. that you think have made you ill by pouring small amounts in bottles, so if necessary, they can be tested later.
This checklist is by no way all-inclusive, but it will help you identify experiences you may want to investigate into with the other person at a more meaningful level.
- An overwhelming sense of love, affection and attraction that compels you beyond reason or sense.
- A sense of completion that goes beyond words, it’s impossible to explain why or how you feel so whole once you’ve met this person.
- A sense of honor, or integrity, or desire to share – but a reticence to burden or pressure the other with your experiences.
- A magnetism to the other stronger than anything you have ever experienced. In fact you feel it for this person long after he or she leaves your space.
- You find that your skills and knowledge perfectly complement one another.
- The ability to literally feel one another whether you are with them physically or not. You’ve had that feeling from the moment you’ve met, and maybe you made a psychic connection even before you met physically.
- A feeling you have to be in a certain place at a certain time, with no other reason, only to find that person in these places and times.
- A feeling that you are so close you just might feel related – like a brother or a sister, but deeper than that level of relationship.
- A feeling you intimately know every detail about this person but you want to hear all about them.
- You love listening to each other’s stories.
- You want to find out everything you can about the other.
- You read between the lines and try to discover what they really mean or what they really desire and if you can fill that space for them.
- A beginning of a breakdown of your lives as you knew them upon finding one another.
- The power to touch the other and affect a response at any time without physical contact from any distance.
- Over the course of your life you may have dreams of a “mystery man/woman.” When you meet them, it’s not necessarily a physical similarity, although many report that, it’s the eyes, and the smile, or maybe the overall presence of that person that feels exactly like that person you dreamed about.
- Synchronicity will be abundant. You may find yourselves calling, emailing and texting one another at the exact same time. You may also find yourselves buying each other gifts at the same time or thinking about one another at the exact same time.
- You may feel your heart wanting to jump out of your chest at the sound of his or her voice, or the mention of his or her name or casual thought of his or her essence.
- The ability to feel each other’s emotions, whether they be happy or sad ones, from any distances.
- The ability to contact one another through meditation and share the same experiences together.
- An intense desire to ultimately be together no matter the obstacles blocking your way.
- The ability to dream of your partner in their current state and verify the accuracy of that dream, later.
- You may notice the ability to collapse time as you knew it. Upon your coming together, time and space both will cease to exist.
- When you and your partner are out and about, you may notice the eyes of everyone are upon you. Your deep connection for one another will shine so greatly, that it is not uncommon for the eyes of everyone to be upon the two of you.
- You may find yourselves completing each others sentences, sometimes even before you have the chance to begin them.
- You are stunned, sometimes blown away by their sheer presence that seems to constantly surround you.
- You never feel possessed, merely comforted by their presence. You feel instantly reassured that everything is right with the world as long as you can sense them.
- Upon connecting with your twin flame, you may find that you are practically mirror images of one another and that you may want to even run from your partner because of the things you see from the reflection of his/her eyes. You may push your twin away for a time, while you work to get comfortable with the experiences and feelings you feel near them.
- Sometimes you feel unable to communicate verbally, because you feel the relationship is so far along energetically. There is a gap between the energetic and the physical relationship.
- If you currently live apart, (even at great distances) you may notice the power to be intimate without ever physically touching the other or being on the phone together, and verify the experience later.
- You may notice that any of your bad habits, ie. smoking, drinking, or whatever they be, will deeply and adversely effect you. Even in your diet, food that you used to be able to eat, will have to be set aside. Sometimes you can’t eat, drink, or do what you used to do to bring yourself pleasure.
- A realization that this isn’t the first time the two of you have met… Past life experiences and memories start to flood you. You have dreams and experiences or flashbacks to lives or experiences filled with this person. Maybe you make the mistake of calling them by a name you once knew them by or they do that to you.
- If the both of you have similar interests, you may discover that you have been drawn to the same tastes or have been expressing similar frustrations long before your Twin Flame reunification. Sometimes you don’t realize you have the same interests until one of you introduces the other to a new interest or hobby.
- You’ll either have similar body challenges or reflective ones. You might be able to feel when the other is weakened, or ill, or hurting. It may also affect you physically.
- You find that your twin is the only one to alleviate you completely of your suffering, your pain, or heal your emotional or spiritual ails fully.
- The individual twins become more as one, without losing their unique identities.
- There may be obstacles to overcome to be together, but there are no barriers between twin flames. The relationship is a totally open one, and evolves naturally and often rapidly.
- You almost always meet through unusual circumstances or situations that were totally unplanned and unexpected.
- The two of you know without doubt that you have been brought together for some deeper purpose.
- It feels as though you have been awakened since your reunion occurred. You feel more alive than you’ve ever felt.
- You give to the other in ways to bring them joy, relief or nurture them and never think of receiving in return. Giving is the nature of the twin flame relationship and you feel the rewards in your giving.
- You receive gifts from the other and never think it inappropriate or uncomfortable. In fact the gift is often something you’ve been lacking, in great need of or desiring for sometime but never voiced it before.
- There is a strong sense you will be together for all eternity… even when you pass on in this life.
- The relationship is immediate, as though no time had been lost since you were last together.
- There is a very sacred sense of intimacy and feeling of divinely inspired wholeness that one finds within a twin soul relationship. It is not by accident nor is it without purpose.
- You may still have karma with your twin from previous lives, but the two of you resolve it with total forgiveness and unconditional love.
- There is nothing hidden between the two of you. You don’t hide secrets. You are truthful and respectful to one another.
- Your conversations seem to go on forever. There is nothing you won’t discuss with your twin flame.
- Your twin seeks your guidance and advice, and likewise before they go anywhere else.
- There is no need to build walls or barriers between one another from pain or fear the other causes. Your twin will treat you as someone sacred.
- However, if one half of the twin is not ready to access the relationship, or has been traumatized in some way, the other half senses that and may either demonstrate an unusual sense of sensitivity or protectiveness over that person.
- The two of you are inseparable. No matter if there are distances between you physically there is no distance energetically for the twin souls.
- Even if you don’t speak for weeks or months, even years, there’s always an inevitable drawing that eventually brings you back in touch with your twin.
- Neither one of you are dependent on the other for your sense of self. You know who you are with or without your twin flame in the physical.
- Your sexuality with one another is a sacred act that celebrates the unconditional love you have for one another. You feel a deep spiritual oneness with all that is.
- Trust, patience and acceptance of each other’s weaknesses happen automatically. You will never intentionally use that weakness against your twin in anger or hurt.
- There is a special sacredness to your relationship that transcends anything you’ve ever experienced before. You feel a deep sense of sacredness and unity that you’ve have never known before.
- There are no restrictions within the relationship. All is freedom without the need for ownership or control.
- You will feel inspired to create and your twin flame inspires your creativity.
- You do not compete with one another nor do you pretend to be other than who you are. You love each other for their individuality and uniqueness. You understand that some things are better left to your twin’s strengths rather than competing
- You recognize there is a deeper spirituality that you manifest and find that you’ve become reconnected to the higher self. You will gain knowledge of what your soul’s higher purpose is and will serve for that purpose.
- In spite of your similarities as well as your differences, there is no doubt you feel a sense of completion through the other.
- You will recognize you two are truly meant for one another. You will know you are one with everything in the universe and beyond.
Find immediate answers to commonly asked questions about the diseases mosquitoes carry, transmit and spread.
Frequently Asked Questions about Eastern Equine Encephalitis
Q: Can people die from Eastern Equine Encephalitis here in the United States?
A: Yes, sadly enough, this is one of the diseases mosquitoes transmit that can cause death in humans. Although many people who are infected with EEE virus have no symptoms or slight flu-like symptoms, there are some people who will develop life-threatening symptoms, including inflammation of the brain, coma, and ultimately, death. 1 in 3 people who contract a serious case of the disease will die from it, and those that do survive may end up with permanent damage to the nervous system, requiring lifelong care.
Q: Is there a vaccine or antibiotic that can cure people who become sick with EEE?
A: Any of the arboviral encephalitides are viral, so antibiotics are of little use in treating people with the disease. There is a vaccine for horses, but not for humans at this time. The best way to combat EEE and other arboviruses is before they strike – prevention is the key.
A: As the name implies, eastern parts of the U.S., including the entire East Coast and Gulf Coast, and some areas of the Midwest. The primary type of area for this potentially fatal disease is swampland, with swamp-inhabiting birds being potential reservoirs of the disease. EEE is one of the diseases mosquitoes can spread.
A: Symptoms are very similar to those of the flu with headache and body aches, fever, nausea, and so forth. In serious cases, encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), coma, and ultimately, death, may occur.
Frequently Asked Questions about LaCrosse Encephalitis
Q: How did this disease get its name – from LaCrosse, Wisconsin?
A: Exactly. LaCrosse, Wisconsin was where the cause of the disease was first found back in 1963.
Q: Where is LaCrosse Encephalitis found?
A: Cases of the disease have mostly been found in the upper Midwest near deciduous forests, although more cases in the Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic regions have been reported lately. LaCrosse Encephalitis is one of the diseases mosquitoes transmit.
There is no need to stop hunting waterfowl. However, waterfowl hunters should always take simple precautions to protect themselves from exposure to disease, including:
- Do not handle obviously sick birds or birds found dead.
- Keep your game birds cool, clean, and dry.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke while cleaning harvested waterfowl.
- Wear rubber gloves when cleaning waterfowl.
- Wash your hands with soap and water after cleaning waterfowl.
- Clean up tools and surfaces immediately with hot, soapy water and disinfect with a mixture of 10 percent household chlorine bleach in water.
- Thoroughly cook harvested waterfowl (165º Fahrenheit).
You don't have to be concerned that neighbor's poultry and animals will expose you to bird flu at this time. If HPAI bird flu does occur in New York, additional guidance from experts will be developed.
It is safe for a child to take part in projects that involve hatching eggs and raising chicks. Chickens that get infected with bird flu become ill and often stop laying eggs, so there is little risk of bird flu. However, chicks can carry other diseases such as salmonella. Projects involving hatching eggs and raising chicks should minimize hand contact and require thorough hand washing if contact does occur.
There is no evidence that properly cooked poultry or eggs can be a source of infection from bird flu. Because other common diseases such as salmonella infection can be spread by eating undercooked poultry or eggs, always cook them thoroughly. Wash your hands with soap and hot water after touching any raw meat. Make sure to clean cutting boards and counters used for food preparation immediately after use to prevent cross contamination with other foods.
You cannot get bird flu from Canada goose droppings in parks, ballparks, reservoirs and other public places. However, many different bacteria, viruses, and parasites are present in feces. It is best to avoid exposure to bird droppings. The following precautions should be taken:
- Teach children to always wash their hands after playing outside.
- If you pick up droppings, use a shovel, "pooper scooper," or gloves - never your bare hands.
- If you are worried about exposure during swimming, swim at a regulated beach. Regular tests are conducted to make sure the water is not polluted from human, animal or farm waste.
Adenoviruses are a group of viruses that can infect the membranes (tissue linings) of the respiratory tract, eyes, intestines, urinary tract, and nervous system. They account for about 10% of fever-related illnesses and acute respiratory infections in kids and are a frequent cause of diarrhea.
Adenoviral infections affect babies and young children much more often than adults. Childcare centers and schools sometimes have multiple cases of respiratory infections and diarrhea caused by adenovirus.
Adenoviral infections can occur at any time of the year, but:
- respiratory tract problems caused by adenovirus are more common in late winter, spring, and early summer
- conjunctivitis (pinkeye) and pharyngoconjunctival fever caused by adenovirus tend to affect older kids, mostly in the summer
Adenoviral infections can affect children of any age, but most occur in the first years of life — and most kids have had at least one before age 10. There are many different types of adenoviruses, so some kids can have repeated adenoviral infections.